The 8(a) Program helps provide a level playing field for small businesses owned by individuals who are socially and economically disadvantaged. In this effort, the government limits competition for certain contracts to businesses that participate in the 8(a) Business Development program.
To apply for the 8(a) program a business must:
• Be a small business
• Not have previously participated in the 8(a) program
• Be at least 51% owned and controlled by U.S. citizens who are socially and economically disadvantaged
• Have a personal net worth of $750 thousand or less, adjusted gross income of $350 thousand or less, and assets totaling $6 million or less
• Demonstrate good character
• Demonstrate the potential for success such as having been in business for two years
SBA 8(a) Business Development Program 4-part Series:
(You will receive the links for sessions upon registration)
Session 1 (02.22.22) – Get ready to apply
Preparations and the Document Checklist
Session 3 (02.24.22) – More diving into the application
Potential for Success, Contributors, Non-Disadvantaged Individuals, Spouses of Disadvantaged Individuals, Disadvantaged Individuals
Session 4 (02.25.22) – Final Steps
Submitting the application, Tips, Your Q&A, Now What?